Advances in dental technology have enabled the discovery of durable restorative materials that closely mimic the look, feel and texture of natural tooth enamel; and as dentists, we are always focused upon improving our patient’s appearance as well as their oral health, while restoring damaged areas in the mouth.
When it comes to treating dental decay, porcelain inlays and onlays are often the conservative treatment of choice because they look great, wear well and help to preserve as much of a patient’s natural tooth structure as possible. These inlays and onlays provide us with an optimal means of maximizing a patient’s healthy tooth structure, while minimizing the amount of tooth reduction.
Dental inlays and onlays are extremely stable restorations that seldom fail, offering a perfect blend of form and function, together with an array of important benefits. The foremost aesthetic advantage is that porcelain inlays and onlays look like tooth enamel and are custom crafted to match the colour of the patient’s existing tooth structure.
One of the most significant advantages of using an inlay or onlay is the durability of the finished restoration.
Thanks to the composition of the innovative materials used in the fabrication of the dental inlays and onlays, these finished restorations won1 become discoloured with continuous daily wear and tear, whereas white resin dental fillings sometimes need to be replaced because of discolouration issues.
Inlays & onlays enable us to craft beautiful restorations that provide the patient with a combination of excellent functional longevity and aesthetic naturalness. These tiny structures resemble small, finely crafted sculptures that permit a superior, customized fit on the tooth being restored.
Prior to the advent of these innovative restorations, a full coverage dental crown was often the only way to treat tooth decay that extended into a flossing area, with the result that the patient would lose a large portion of their existing tooth structure.
To summarize, the advantages of porcelain inlays & on lays include:
- With inlays & on lays more of the tooth structure is preserved.
- Inlays & onlays strengthen the tooth structure, whereas a filling can weaken it.
- Inlays & onlays eliminate tooth sensitivity & any further loss of the tooth structure. • Inlays & onlays are securely bonded to the cavity area which prevents the spread of bacteria.
- Porcelain inlays & onlays are aesthetically superior to fillings, and look like real tooth enamel.
- Perhaps the most important advantage to consider is, that in saving damaged teeth, onlays may help patients to avoid the eventual need for more extensive treatment involving crowns, bridges or dental implants.
Yours for better dental health,
Photo by István Sebestyén-Teleki